Howdy Beans affecionados!
Chris here from ThemeButler.com. Some of you will already be familiar of my themes, but for those who don't, I'm the guy that created Jenkins, Banks and Totem child-themes for Beans.
A couple of months back I previewed one of the new themes I'm working on, called Voyager. It's definitely the most comprehensive theme in the collection (or at least, will be) and is the first to add support for WooCommerce and Jetpack.
Rather than just do the usual styling around WooCommerce, I wanted to design outside the box and how better to do so than with Beans. So I sat down and built the plugin over a couple of weeks (it's seriously labor intensive rewriting every single one of WooCommerce's template files with Beans markup).
Now it's at the point where it needs lots of testing - due the purpose of WooCommerce, an ill-placed bug could prevent a sale from going through, or worse, expose your customers information. Which leads me to the reason for this post - I need beta testers to really stress test the crap out of it and post an issues you find on the Github issues list.
I'm also hoping there are some devs in the community that can offer up a fresh set eyes and let me know if there is anything that could be improved -> https://github.com/ThemeButler/woocommerce-overrides-for-beans
Once the plugin is confirmed to be stable, myself and any other theme devs will be able to start churning out unique WooCommerce themes for Beans 😉
I tried to install your plugin to my local WP dev site, but it threw a fatal error, so it couldn't be installed. Is there something I could change, so it does install ?
I tried installing it after I had already installed WooCommerce, by the way.
Can you enable error reporting in your
wp-config.php (located in your site root), then let me know what error is displayed. That will help me pinpoint whats going wrong.
To enable error reporting, set the
define('WP_DEBUG', false); option to
Yes, I enabled the error reporting, which showed a 'fatal error', and it couldn't install the plugin. It turned out - I had declared the WooCommerce support in my child theme's functions.php.
So that was my bad.
After I removed those lines in my functions.php, I was able to install the plugin, but I still get these 2 lines of warning :
Notice: Constant BEANS_API_PATH already defined in G:\xampp\htdocs\wp-451-1066\wp-content\themes\tm-beans\lib\init.php on line 26
Notice: Constant BEANS_API_URL already defined in G:\xampp\htdocs\wp-451-1066\wp-content\themes\tm-beans\lib\init.php on line 39
Not sure if this changes whether the plugin works.
Hope this helps 🙂
Also, I see that the elements in the WooCommerce content now have the data markup id-s . Which is encouraging, since WC is notoriously tricky to deal with, as far as the layout is concerned.
I will also post these findings into another thread I started on the Beans Support Forum, as Integrating WooCommerce into Beans, since it refers to a wider topic than this thread we're on.
WooCommerce is quite an unruly beast 🙂 . It would be very rewarding to get it under some control, though.
I think it would be good to add the layout support mentionned in this reply in the Woo plugin too.
If I may, I would like to add something which isn't mentionned and maybe unclear on the github project. At the moment the plugin is still under development and should not be used for production websites.
I am glad to see that users are starting to contribute to this project too 🙂
I've pushed some updates to the plugin with Thierry's suggestions applied. Please take it for a spin and let me know if you run into any issues.
I've installed the plugin on my local and got some errors after activating it.
I've posted a new issue at github https://github.com/ThemeButler/woocommerce-overrides-for-beans/issues/1 and provided my own recommendations on how to fix them.
On the frontend, one thing I've noticed is that there are now two breadcrumbs in all WC pages http://prntscr.com/bnhxil. I'm still navigating through the other WC pages though, and I'll let you know if I find more errors.
Also, I think the plugin is lacking the checks if WooCommerce is installed, and a way to deactivate itself.
Hope this helps! 😀
Thanks for the feedback! I have another update planned for next week and I'll make sure I get this one resolved. Please continue to share any issues you come across and I'll do my best to get them resolved asap!