Beans Layouts 101

Hey folks. I'm just learning the basics here - Watched through some of Chris' excellent tutorials and am starting to experiment with layouts. I've got questions on the basics - things that I couldn't find imediate answers for in the Docs, so thought I could ask them in one thread as I go - maybe other beginners would find the replies useful as well.

Q.1 - Custom Layouts: Following on from https://goo.gl/QxtSeR which explains how to create Layouts based on Post Type, Category etc.. What if I want to create a custom template name that shows up in the WP Admin dropdown? Should it not look like this..

<?php
/*
Template Name: Test Page Layout

*/

....modifications...

beans_load_document();

Seems like I'm doing something wrong.

That's basically it - you just created a page template which you can select when editing a page on WP Admin. If you wanted to create a post type-specific template, you'd have to name the file single-{post_type}.php and get rid of the Template Name: Test Page Layout part. (See https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Type_Templates.)

On the page you referenced, those hooks beans_header_after_markup and beans_content_prepend_markup are places in a Beans theme where you can insert / manipulate / remove content and such.

Running with the example you gave, here's your template with some said hooks in action.

<?php
/*
Template Name: Test Page Layout
*/

// some text just after content
add_action( 'beans_content_append_markup', 'template_stuff' );

function template_stuff() {

?>

<div class="uk-text-center uk-margin-top">
    <span class="uk-h1">something after content is displayed</span>
 </div>

<?php

}

beans_load_document();

To see more Beans hooks, enable developer mode (from WP Admin, Appearance -> Settings) then go to the front and and open your console. Browse through the markup, you'll see parts that look like data-markup-id="beans_content_append_markup". Those are all places that you can manipulate using Beans.

Thats great - thenks Kevin. Works fine. No idea why mine wasn't working!

Write a reply

Login or register to write a reply, it's free!